While our journal focuses on ecopoetics, we encourage a wide interpretation of this term. We see ecopoetics as anything examining, explicitly or not, the various aspects of Earth’s systems and inhabitants. What role do we and other living beings play? What role do non-living, intangible, or ephemeral forces play? What is the legacy and interplay of the forces of life, matter, energy, history, and power? What does ecopoetics mean in the lens of:
- Decolonization | Settler colonialism
- Militarism | Imperialism
- Waste | Compost | Plastics | Sustainability
- Food | Farming | Factories | Labor
- Animals | Plants | Water
- Ambient | Inorganic matter | Weather
- Reproduction | Fertility | Disease
- Maps | Borders
- Technology | Machines
These are only a few of the potential questions we welcome everyone to investigate in the works submitted to our journal.
We encourage experimentation with language and form and believe artists should take risks with their creative and critical works, but please exhibit care and intention with your choices. We will refuse submissions that harm and exploit marginalized voices and communities.
We do not charge any fees.
Contributors receive one copy of the print publication. Although we cannot pay writers at this time, we are actively working to operate as a journal that can compensate contributors for their time and labor.
We accept simultaneous submissions, though we ask that you let us know immediately if your piece is accepted elsewhere.
We reserve first publishing rights after which publishing rights will revert to the author. Please acknowledge Snail Trail if published elsewhere after.
Please do send pet pictures, particularly snails, for our enjoyment.
Guidelines to Share Work
We publish issues annually in the fall, both online and in print. The reading period for our 2021 issue is open now from December 1, 2020 to January 31, 2021.
Please send works to firstname.lastname@example.org with a current bio.
- For TEXT / HYBRID submissions, send 3-5 pages as a Word document (if you wish to preserve formatting, please feel free to send a PDF document as well).
- If we accept your submission, we will request an audio version of your written work to allow multiple audiences to experience it without format barriers
- For MIXED MEDIA submissions, send 3-5 high quality JPEG or PNG documents.
- Please include alt text, if possible.
- For VIDEO / AUDIO submissions, send up to 15 minutes as an MP4 file.
- Please be sure to caption your videos and/or provide a transcription of the audio, if possible.
- For ESSAYS, REVIEWS or INTERVIEWS, send up to 5 pages as a Word document.
Please expect to hear back from us in late-February 2021 with a decision.
As always, please feel free to reach out with any questions.